Myrtle Beach Friday Fax Memo
To download a printable .pdf of the Friday Fax, click here. To receive this weekly listing of meeting schedules and agendas via email, send your email address to email@example.com.
FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 2019
1. Next week’s meeting schedule and agendas are attached. Note that the Myrtle Beach City Council is adjusting its schedule slightly. Council will hold a one hour workshop beginning at 9:00 a.m., followed by the regular meeting at 10:00 a.m. Both will be televised on MBTV on the local cable systems and streamed live on the city’s website.2. Bring the whole family to the Big Eggs-travaganza from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. tomorrow (Saturday, April 20) at Bathsheba Bowens Memorial Park, off Nance Street. The event features an Easter egg hunt, egg roll, egg relay, egg decorating contest, a bunny-hop race and an appearance by the Easter Bunny. For more information, contact Chris Wiggins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-918-2338.
3. Ocean Boulevard drivers can expect milling, followed by repaving, on Tuesday, April 23, between 15th and 16th Avenues North. The work is occurring in front of the new Ocean Enclave by Hilton. Detours will be posted while that section of Ocean Boulevard is closed. The road should re-open Wednesday, April 24.
4. Next weekend is filled with activity, including the third annual Food Truck Festival (Friday through Sunday), World Tai Chi Day (Saturday) Jazz in the Park (Sunday), and much more! Looking for something to do in Myrtle Beach? Visit our Events page for a comprehensive list of activities. See http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/Events.pdf. This file of city-related festivals, concerts, programs and more is updated weekly with new information.
5. We have a date for South Carolina’s Largest Garage Sale at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center! This year’s sale will be Saturday, October 5. Vendor spaces for the 31st annual event will go on sale at 8:00 a.m., Monday, August 5. For more, please see https://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/services/local_and_regional_links/services/south_carolina_s_largest_garage_sale.php.
6. Registration is underway for “Splash without Cash,” our free water safety and survival lessons for children, teens and adults. Everyone needs to know how to save themselves should they fall into a body of water. This free program is specifically for non-swimmers, ages five and older. Pre-registration is required. Call 843-918-1476 or 843-918-1463 to sign up. Classes are offered May 13-15. Please select one of these class times: 4:00 to 4:30 p.m., 4:40 to 5:10 p.m., 5:20 to 5:50 p.m. or 6:00 to 6:30 p.m.
7. Grand Park across from The Market Common was filled with pets and their people last Saturday, and that’s the subject of our Photos of the Week. Dogs were the stars during Pooch-A-Mania, a canine-focused special event. Activities included an agility course, photos, pet-related vendors, shelters and adoption agencies and lots of tail-wagging.
8. Did you know… That for the third year in a row, the Myrtle Beach area is the second-fastest growing metropolitan area in the country? The US Census Bureau announced that the Myrtle Beach area grew at 3.8 percent last year. That’s 1,400 people per month who are calling the Grand Strand their new home. In the last eight years alone, more than 104,000 people have moved to the Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach metropolitan area. For 2018, the only faster-growing place than here was Midland, Texas, at 4.3 percent.
To see previous Friday Fax Memos, visit the Friday Fax Memo Library webpage.