Tips for getting around town during this weekend's Myrtle Beach Marathon
The Myrtle Beach Marathon begins at 7:00 a.m., Saturday, March 2, and runs 26.2 miles, all within the city limits. The Family Fun Run and the 5K also are Saturday. The 5K starts on the Boardwalk at 8:00 a.m. and finishes at the Pelicans’ stadium. The Family Fun Run begins at 1:00 p.m. at the stadium, where youngsters will run the bases.
Motorists should allow extra time to get to their destinations, as traffic will be congested during race hours. Please watch for runners and drive with care! Hotels should advise their guests to park west of Ocean Boulevard on Friday, March 1. Vehicles will not easily be able to cross Ocean Boulevard during the race hours on Saturday morning.
See the course map at https://mbmarathon.com/course-maps/. Remember that US 17 (commonly called “the bypass”) is not part of the marathon course, so use US 17 for north/south travel on Saturday.
· Plan ahead for travel on Saturday, March 2.
· Avoid the intersections of 21st Avenue North and Grissom Parkway and 29th Avenue North and Grissom Parkway.
· Anticipate heavy congestion in the Grand Dunes Boulevard and Kings Highway area.
· Northbound traffic on Ocean Boulevard is only available for race participants.
Please be patient! Plan to share the road with runners or seek an alternate route. Allow extra time to get to your destination on race day. Traffic will be congested, especially between 4:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Expect delays on Kings Highway, Ocean Boulevard, Farrow Parkway, Grissom Parkway and various cross-streets…
· 21st Avenue North – Greens Boulevard to Grissom Parkway (4:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
· Grissom Parkway – 29th Avenue North to Mr. Joe White Avenue (4:00 to 11:00 a.m.)
· Mr. Joe White Avenue – Grissom Parkway to Kings Highway (6:00 to 11:00 a.m.)
· Kings Highway (southbound lanes) – Mr. Joe White Avenue to Farrow Parkway (6:30 to 8:00 a.m.)
· Farrow Parkway – Kings Highway to Johnson Street (local traffic to and from The Market Common will have access from US 17, the “bypass,” only) (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Pampas Drive – Mallard Lake Drive to Farrow Parkway (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Johnson Avenue – Farrow Parkway to Nevers Street (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Hackler Street – Johnson Street to Farrow Parkway (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Nevers Street – DeVille Street to Farrow Parkway (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Howard Street – Farrow Parkway to Reed Avenue (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Emmens Avenue – Gabreski Lane to Farrow Parkway (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Kings Highway – Center South to South Ocean Boulevard (7:30 to 9:00 a.m.)
· Ocean Boulevard CLOSED – Mr. Joe White Avenue to First Avenue (7:00 to 10:30 a.m.)
· Ocean Boulevard (northbound lane only) – to 82nd Parkway (7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.)
· For the half marathon… Mr. Joe White Avenue – Ocean Boulevard to Grissom Parkway (6:30 to 10:30 a.m.)
· Grand Dunes Boulevard – North Ocean Boulevard to US 17 (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
· Kings Highway (southbound curb lane only) – Grand Dunes Boulevard to 65th Avenue North (8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
· 65th Avenue North (westbound lanes) – to Frontage Road and East Coast Greenway (8:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.)
· Frontage Road-East Coast Greenway – 65th Avenue North to Granddaddy Boulevard (8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
· Granddaddy Boulevard – All lanes, then u-turn after three-tenths of a mile (8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
· Grissom Parkway (southbound curb lane only) – Granddaddy Boulevard to 21st Avenue North
· 48th Avenue North – Grissom Parkway to Oleander Street (9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)