City Council Workshop
MYRTLE BEACH CITY COUNCIL
9:00 A.M., THURSDAY, JANUARY 9, 2020
BALLROOM, MARY C. CANTY RECREATION CENTER
971 CANAL STREET, MYRTLE BEACH, SC 29577
ANYONE WHO REQUIRES AN AUXILIARY AID OR SERVICE FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION OR PARTICIPATION SHOULD CONTACT THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE AT (843) 918-1004 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, BUT NO LATER THAN 48 HOURS BEFORE THE SCHEDULED EVENT.
A. Mayor and Council Welcome and Statement of the Meeting’s Purpose
B. Reports from City Staff
1. Public Safety Matters
a. Retreat Follow-Up
b. Grande Dunes Access Road
b. Proposed Memorandum of Understanding with the Myrtle Beach Regional Economic Development Corporation (MBREDC)
c. Specific Development Opportunities
d. Downtown Update
1. Ambassador Program Proposal
2. Downtown MID Proposal
b. Transfer Station Update
4. Enhanced Communication Matters
5. Quality of Life Matters
a. Retreat Follow-Up
b. City Employee Community Beautification Survey Results
c. 9/11/01 Memorial Discussion
C. City Council Discussion Items
D. Public Input (three-minute limit per speaker, 30 minute maximum)
E. Executive Session*
*Note: South Carolina law requires that Council’s business is conducted in public with limited exceptions, known as “Executive Sessions.” Subjects eligible for Executive Session include:
- Personnel matters.
- Negotiations concerning proposed contractual arrangements and proposed sale or purchase of property.
- The receipt of legal advice relating to:
– A pending, threatened, or potential claim.
– Other matters covered by the attorney-client privilege.
– Settlement of legal claims, or the position of the city in other adversary situations.
- Discussions regarding development of security personnel or devices.
- Investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct.
- Matters relating to the proposed location, expansion, or provision of services encouraging location or expansion of industries or other businesses.
Council may take action on matters discussed in Executive Session which are deemed "emergency" concerns.