icon of a microphone

Solid Waste Division

(843) 918-2160

The Solid Waste Division serves the city in four collection zones to provide solid waste and recycling pick-up for our residential customers.  With this schedule, one zone receives complete service each day, Monday through Thursday.  All household garbage, recycling, yard waste and bulky junk are picked up on the same day each week. 

Collections occur Monday through Thursday in four zones, beginning on the southern end of the city.   Visit here for a map of the Monday-through-Thursday collection zones to learn which zone is yours.   

  • Red = Monday
  • Green = Tuesday
  • Purple = Wednesday
  • Teal = Thursday. 


A $2 per month solid waste fee gives residential customers the option of choosing between two sizes of solid waste roll-out carts and two sizes of recycling roll-out carts.  Previously, customers purchased the carts at a cost of up to $70 each.  You may choose a blue solid waste roll-out cart in either the current 96 gallon size or a smaller 64 gallon size.  

Similarly, you may choose a green roll-out recycling cart in either the current 48 gallon size or a larger 64 gallon size.  We've had requests for smaller solid waste carts and larger recycling carts, so this gives customers more options and encourages more recycling.  If you purchased one of the carts in the past two years, the purchase price will be refunded.  For more information, call the Solid Waste Division at 843-918-2160.

Note:  Pelican roll-out containers must be placed at curbside by 6:00 a.m. on your collection day.  Then, pelicans must be removed from curbside by 11:00 p.m. on your service day.


The city also offers curbside recycling for our residential customers.  You do not have to separate recyclables.  Here's a handy list of items that can be recycling in our green rollout carts (or the older blue bins, if you still have one)...

  • Aluminum and tin cans
  • Plastic bottles and jugs (#1 through #7)
  • Empty aerosol cans (with no caps)
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Office paper, school paper and junk mail
  • Corrugated carboard and paper bags (clean; not greasy)
  • Catalogs, magazines and newspapers
  • Paperback books and telephone books
  • Rigid plastics
  • Paper egg and milk cartons

Yard waste (leaves, grass clippings and the like) must be placed in a paper bag for collection.  Effective in December 2018, the Horry County Solid Waste Authority will no longer accept yard waste in plastic bags.  Paper bags of yard waste can be composted, thus saving valuable landfill space.   

Larger tree limbs can be placed at curbside for pickup, but please cut them into sections that are four feet in length or smaller.  Note also that city code requires landscape contractors to haul away the yard debris that they generate.  The city will not pick up commercially generated yard waste at curbside.

The city will pick up bulky junk and electronics at curbside as part of the monthly service.  It is illegal under state law to dispose of any computer, monitor, printer or television into any waste street.  These electronic devices must be recycled, according to state law.  

The Solid Waste Division also operates a solid waste transfer station on Mr. Joe White Avenue.  It's available to city residents on Fridays.  For more information, call 843-918-2160.


For general information, new service requests, containers, complaints or special services, call 843-918-2160, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

For information regarding collection of storm related debris, see our Storm Damage Debris Collection webpage.