Chapin Memorial Library
Myrtle Beach's Chapin Memorial Library is the only city-owned library in South Carolina. A public library originally opened in 1939 on North Kings Highway with 501 books. During World War II, the library moved to the Chapin Company building as part of the government recreation program for soldiers.
In August 1948, the Chapin Foundation provided $40,000 for a library on city park land and $2,000 more for landscaping. The city’s Chapin Memorial Library opened June 1, 1949, on the corner of Kings Highway and 14th Avenue North and has been expanded four times. You may call the library at 843-918-1275.
HOURS OF OPERATION (effective October 1, 2016)
Monday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Chapin Memorial Library offers resident and non-resident memberships.
- RESIDENT MEMBERSHIP -- Any resident of Myrtle Beach has the privilege of becoming a member in full standing of the library. Acceptable identification includes a current S. C. driver's license with an in-city address, a current S. C. identification card with an in-city address or a Myrtle Beach property tax receipt.
- NON-RESIDENT MEMBERSHIP -- Any qualified non-resident of Myrtle Beach, SC, may become a member for a $20.00 fee to be paid each year. One piece of identification that includes the current physical address and a photograph of the applicant (such as a driver's license) must be presented for adult memberships. Additional cards for family members are available at no charge.
- Individuals who live outside of Horry County may obtain a 90-day card for $8.00, with additional cards for family members at $2.00 per card. Or, individual who live outside of Horry County may obtain an annual card for $20.00, with additional cards for family members at $8.00 per card. Family members are defined as any person in the same household related by blood, marriage or other legal means to the primary cardholder.
LOAN PERIODS AND OVERDUE FEES
- FOURTEEN DAY MATERIALS -- Books on the New Book Shelf and Test Books are loaned for a period of 14 days. The overdue fine for these materials is 25 cents per day for a maximum of $5.00 per item.
- TWENTY-ONE DAY MATERIALS -- All other circulating materials may be borrowed for a period of 21 days. The overdue fine for these materials is 10-cents per day for a maximum of $5.00 per item.
- REFERENCE MATERIALS AND PERIODICALS -- These materials are non-circulating and must be used in the building.
The Reference Room is composed of several thousand sources of information, including books, periodicals and computer databases. For added convenience, we have pulled the South Carolina/Genealogy materials and the business materials and placed them in special areas.
The Shirley W. Boone South Carolina Room has more than a thousand titles, area scrapbooks, vertical files, pamphlet files and a microfilm library. Some of the microfilm we have available for our patrons include: The Horry County Census Records, local newspapers, and The American Genealogical Lending Library Index.
The Reference Room also maintains a large collection of periodicals, vertical files and pamphlets.
INTERLIBRARY LOAN SERVICES
As an extension of Reference Services, Interlibrary Loans are offered to patrons of CML to help them obtain materials they need that the library does not own.
The Library can search online through the S. C. State Library, Horry County Memorial Library System and SOLINET.
- TYPEWRITERS -- There is one electronic typewriter available for use by the public. No appointments are necessary.
- COPIERS -- Copiers are located near the Circulation Desk on the first floor and near the Reference Room on the second floor. Cost for copies is 10-cents per page.
- INTERNET STATIONS -- Eighteen Internet stations are available for public use by card-holders. Black-and-white printing is 10 cents per page.
- PERSONAL COMPUTERS -- There are three PCs available for use by the public. Programs include Microsoft Word, Publisher and Excel. Black-and-white printing is 10 cents per page.
- FACSIMILE MACHINE -- Transmitting charges are $1.00 for the first five pages and 10 cents per page after that. Receiving charges are $1.00 per page. The library staff must be notified to expect any incoming documents.
- READER / PRINTERS -- There are three microfilm reader / printers on the second floor, two of which convert to microfiche readers.
- AUDIO - VISUAL -- The following machines are available for use within the building, during normal operating hours. Call to reserve their use.
- 1 Opaque projector
- 1 Overhead projector
- TV/DVD player
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR FRIENDS
Chapin Memorial Library has many areas where volunteer services are needed to enhance programs already in place. If you have an interest in becoming a library volunteer, pick up one of the fliers listing the volunteer opportunities, check a service area, fill out the name and address section, fold the flier so that the library address shows and mail the flier back to the Friends or you may drop it off in the library at the circulation desk during our regular hours.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON ALL LIBRARY SERVICES