General Robert H. Reed Recreation Center
800 Gabreski Lane
The General Robert H. Reed Recreation Center is a great place for meetings, games, classes, activities and receptions. The center includes a ballroom, a stage and several meeting rooms. If you are interested in renting a room for a meeting or special occasion, please see our Facilities webpage.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: By Reservation Only
INTERESTED IN TEACHING?
If you are interested in teaching a class or workshop, or want to lead a group at the General Robert H. Reed Recreation Center, call 843-918-2380. We welcome programming suggestions.
Free Wi-Fi services are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. Bring your own laptop, enjoy some coffee, catch up on the world news and surf the web.
Gametime is popular at the General Robert H. Reed Recreation Center. Please see the descriptions below for days and times.
- Bridge is a trick-taking game using a standard 52 card deck. It is played by four players in two competing partnerships, which partners sitting opposite of each other. Millions of people play bridge worldwide in clubs, tournaments, online, or with friends it home, making it one of the most popular card games, particularly among seniors. Join us for Bridge from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Mondays.
- Canasta is a card game of the rummy family that is believed to be a variant of 500 Rum. Although many variations are possible for two, three, five or six players, it is most commonly played with a group of four, split into two teams, while using two standard decks of cards. The object is to make melds of seven cards of the same rank and "go out" by playing all cards in their hand. Join us for Canasta from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Chess and Checkers are strategic games that are free and fun, and free coffee is available. Bring a partner and play with deluxe Staunton-style chess pieces. Chess and Checkers games are played 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Mondays.
- Cribbage is a card game traditionally for two players, but can also be played with three, four or more participants. It involves grouping cards in combinations in order to gain points. Join us for Cribbage from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Hand and Foot is a variation of Canasta and is played with four to six standard decks. It is ideal for two players, but there are options for four to six players. Each player is dealt two hands, and the first set of cards is considered the hand. The second set is considered the foot. Join us for Hand and Foot from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Fridays.
- Mah Jong is a tile-based game that originated in China and offers great exercise for your brain. Similar to rummy, Mah Jong is a game of skill, strategy and calculation, while also involving a degree of chance. Players are responsible for purchasing their own card, and instructors are available to teach players in advance. Join us for Mah Jong from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Pinochle is a trick-taking card game typically with two to four participants and played with a 48-card deck. Players score points by trick-taking and also by forming combinations of cards into melds. Join us for Pinochle from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Ballroom Dance Lessons teach the core elements of ballroom dancing: control and cohesiveness. The lessons are taught from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. A 30-minute practice session is available following the class. The fee is $10 per class. For more information, call Sandra Lucas-Hyde at 843-602-7197 or visit www.themusicmachine.dance.
- Beginner Novice Dance Lessons require some dance experience. This class offers the opportunity to combine your experience with various line dance steps. This class is held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Improved Beginner's Dance Class is designed for dancers that have mastered the simple dance moves from the low impact line dance steps. The fee is $3. The class takes place at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. For more information, call 570-881-0244.
- Intermediate Dance Class allows you to show off the moves you have learned in the Beginner and Improved Beginner classes. This class incorporates various line dance moves and adds some additional complex routines. The fee for this class is $3, or you have the option of pairing it with one of the Beginner classes for $5 total. For more information, call 570-881-0244.
- Line Dance Class with Sonia teaches the latest line dance moves. The low-intermediate class is 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Thursdays. A beginner line dance class is also available from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. The fee for this class is $4 for City Residents and $10 for Non-City Residents. City Residents with a swipe card pay $23 for 10 visits, and Non-City Residents with a punch card pay $40 for 10 visits. The first class is free.
- Low Impact Line Dance Classes are offered at 5:30 p.m. (beginners' class) and 6:30 p.m. (intermediate class) on Mondays. Participants pay $3 per person. For more information, call 570-881-0244.
- Low Impact Line Intermediate Line Dance Classes for Seniors take place 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays. Each class costs $5 per person. For more information, call 570-881-0244.
- Partners Choreographed Dance Classes are available so that seniors can learn the latest dance moves with a partner. Each class costs $3 per person. Classes are 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. For more information, call 570-881-0244.
- Shag Dance Lessons are available, taught by Sandra Lucas-Hyde. Classes take place from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, with additional practice time from 6:00 to 6:30 p.m. The cost is $10 per class. Call Sandra at 843-602-7197 or visit www.themusicmachine.dance.
- Senior Dances have become a year-round event. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are just $7 per person and may be purchased at the door. All dances are from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. For more information or to reserve a table, call 570-881-0244. This dance series is sponsored by the City of Myrtle Beach. View this flyer for more information.
- Friday, June 15
- Saturday, June 23
- Saturday, July 7
- Friday, July 20
- Saturday, July 28
- Friday, August 17
- Saturday, August 25
- Saturday, September 8
- Saturday, October 6
- Saturday, October 27
- Saturday, November 16
- Saturday, December 1
- Friday, December 7
Bingo is offered on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Participants must bring a prize valued at $1 in order to play.
Billiards is popular at the General Robert H. Reed Recreation Center throughout the year. We host seasonal 8-ball and 9-ball leagues. On Wednesdays, when leagues are not in season, we host daily tournaments that are open to all. The pool tables are open for free play any time during business hours when leagues are not scheduled.
Guitar Lessons are taught by Steve Marino on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, by appointment. Steve offers quick and easy instructions for the beginner student and theory and technique for the developed guitarist. Classes are held in one hour increments, from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Students must have their own guitar and reserve a time in advance. A maximum of four students are allowed per slot. Guitar classes are $5 for City Residents and $10 for Non-City Residents.
Open Studio is held on Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Available options for artwork projects include oil paints, acrylics, watercolors and color pencils. Open Studio is $5 per session for City Residents and $10 for Non-City Residents.
Quilting occurs on Thursdays, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. You can make your very own quilt or show off your skills to others. All are welcome to join this group.
Senior Movies are free for adults and seniors on Fridays at 3:00 p.m. Soft drinks and popcorn are available for $1 each.
- Friday, July 27, 2018 - Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! (PG), Tyler Perry
- Friday, August 3 - Just Getting Started (PG-13), Morgan Freeman
- Friday, August 10 - Life of the Party (PG-13), Melissa McCarty
- Friday, August 17 - Midnight Sun (PG-13), Patrick Schwarzenegger
- Friday, August 24 - Chappaquiddick (PG-13), Jason Clarke
- Friday, August 31 - Black Panther (PG-13), Michael B. Jordan
- Friday, September 7 - Rampage (PG-13), Dwayne Johnson
- Friday, September 14 - Marshall (PG-13), Chadwick Boseman
- Friday, September 21 - Jurassic World (PG-13), Chris Pratt
- Friday, September 28 - Finding Your Feet (PG-13), Timothy Spall
- Friday, October 5 - The Stray (PG), Sarah Lancaster
- Friday, October 12 - The War for the Planet of the Apes (PG-13), Woody Harrelson
- Friday, October 19 - Isle of Palms (PG), Bill Murray
- Friday, October 26 - MAX (PG), Thomas Haden Church
- Friday, November 2 - Flatliners (PG-13), Ellen Page
Zumba uses Latin and World music to help you dance your way to a fitter body. With interval training sessions you tone and sculpt the body while burning fat. No dance experience needed, but bring a smile! The classes are from 6:15 to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.